It is becoming more and more normal to ‘shun’ traditional marketing methods in favour of the Social Media marketing model. In 2014, The ‘Queen of Pop’, Beyoncé herself, bypassed the ‘normal’ mass media product launching process and instead, simply announced her album, to her 8 million Instagram followers, accompanied by the word, ‘Surprise’. The album was a huge success, exceeding the downloads of the previous album, (which had used the traditional marketing model.)
Social Media is a trend that is here to stay!
The world of social media has allowed businesses to create their own publishing platforms and to grow their own marketing channels and distribution networks. When done right, it can provide unlimited marketing independence.
I thought it would be useful to back the above up with some demographics and statistics. Everybody loves a statistic.
Social media is global; it is all over the web. No longer is it just used by the young, restless and narcissistic. Everybody is at it.
- 72% of all internet users are now active on social media
- 18-29 year olds have an 89% usage
- The 30-49 bracket sits at 72%
- 60 percent of 50 to 60 year olds are active on social media
- In the 65 plus bracket, 43% are using social media
- Time spent on Facebook per hour spent online by country. Here are the top three. USA citizens get the top gong at 16% followed by the Aussies at 14 minutes and the Brits at 13 minutes.
- 71% of users access social media from a mobile device.
So, who is winning the Social Media Race?
Drumroll please…… FACEBOOK. No surprise there.
- There are now over 1.15 billion Facebook users
- One million web pages are accessed using the “Login with Facebook” feature
- 23 percent of Facebook users login at least 5 times per day
- 47% of Americans say Facebook is their #1 influencer of purchases
- 70% of marketers used Facebook to gain new customers
However, will all the above said, there are some predictions that by 2016 Google + will surpass Facebook as a social sharing notion.
In 2nd place, unsurprisingly is Google +, no mean feat when taking into consideration that it has only been around for three years!
- There are now over 1 billion with Google+ enabled accounts
- It has reached 359 million monthly active users
- Google+ is growing at 33% per annum. The 45 to 54 year old bracket increased its usage on Google+ by 56% since 2012
In 3rd place is Twitter. Every business needs to be making those 140 character comments! The best things come in small packages remember.
- There are now over 550 million registered users
- 34% of marketers use Twitter to successfully generate leads
- Twitter was the fastest growing network with a 44% growth from 2012-2013
- 215 million monthly active users
Bringing up the rear are the other important channels, including but not limited to Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Vine and Slideshare.
The two that I would suggest you need to be active on and if not active, then definitely watching out for, are Instagram (currently boasting over 150 million active monthly users) and Pinterest (20 million active monthly users).
The bottom line is, you need to get on the social media bus! Everybody else is. Don’t get left behind.
If you don’t have time to keep on top of your marketing requirements, we can take it off your hands. Speak to us today about our ‘Done For You’ marketing solutions and rest assured in the bliss that your business marketing is taken care of! To discuss your marketing plan, just give the office a call 01795 430030 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org